Effect of Chocolate on Dogs?


My dog just found hershey kisses foil wrappers in my sister's trashcan, got them out, packed them in his bed, and has been licking the remnants for the evening until I found him and his stash. There wasn't much chocolate in the wrappers. And he's eaten a whole piece of dove dark chocolate by accident,…

milk chocolate will not hurt him, may make him sick to his stomach though…

DARK – semi sweet, bakers chocolate is extremely dangerous.

The answer about the chocolate with the amounts is a great reference to keep, but remember the total is cumulative over the life of the dog. If your dog eats chocolate now, and gets a little again in a few years, and then again in another year, the third time might just be a little bit, but all together it may add up to the amount that will kill a dog.

The chemical in the chocolate that is dangerous remains in their system forever and that is why you want to prevent them from getting any chocolate.

Of course now days we know not to give chocolate to dogs as it affects their heartbeat and can be deadly. But before that was widely known Mr Sheila would give our old dog the odd bit as a treat. Nothing bad happened to her and she lived to a very old age. And when I was young my father used to give our dog chocolate; in her later years she was a diabetic but still lived to the age of about 15. But, and there’s always a but, once one of our current dogs had a funny turn, went floppy and got very disorientated and had to be rushed to the 24 hour vet. By the time she got there, she was back to normal and the vet could not explain her symptoms. It was only in hindsight that I suggested she may have had a reaction to the chocolate that Mr S gave her as a treat (just as he had with our old dog). So he now doesn’t give her or our other dog chocolate. However, he still eats a lot of chocolate and whenever he’s in the kitchen getting some I notice the dog (the one who had the funny turn) follows him licking the kitchen floor!

your dog would have to eat over 100 mg. of chocolate to actually kill him, however even small amounts of chocolate can make a dog sick. Make sure to keep an eye on him because he could become nauseous and start vomiting as well as the fact that it can increase their heart rate and cause seizures. If he’s fine for the next few hours then most likely it had no effect on him. Good luck and try to keep all chocolate out of his reach!

He will be absolutely fine! My dog has gotten into much worse things. If I’m eating a piece of a chocolate chip cookie or something like that, I give my dog some! He’s 117 lbs so his weight makes it so he can handle more than a small dog…But yeah, your dog is fine!

Your dog should be fine, just keep an eye on him. My chihuahua ate a reeses peanut butter cup candy bar and I was worried and called the vet. He said watch him, but it takes a lot of chocolate to be deadly. best of luck.

This would only be harmful if it was a toy chihuahua. The dog should be fine though. It would only be harmful to a medium-large size dog if it was in large quantities. Their system treats it like poison, and they could possibly seizure. Just keep your eye on him to make sure.

Well he most likely didn’t have enough to really harm him. But watch him tonight if he starts to vomit or stops drinking take him to your emergency vet. Chocolate can be deadly. Be careful not to let him get into any more. Good luck

Nothing he is fine.

Keep this chart handy

White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers’ chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

Nothing will happened! He will be fine its just if he eats like a giant chocolate bunny then that might be a problem! But he will be fine 🙂

He’ll probably be fine. There wasn’t enough chocolate for him to lick.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *